Go to the U of M home page

Friday, January 25, 2013

Undergraduate catalog PDFs now available online

The archival PDFs for the 2012-2014 Twin Cities undergraduate catalog are now available online.

As previously mentioned, the PDFs include a directory of undergraduate programs/majors, minors, and University policies and processes. PDFs of PCAS program descriptions and ECS course descriptions are also included.

Current and archived catalogs are also available as PDFs on the University catalog website. Catalogs for all campuses can also be found online.

Time extension and petition forms available on grad school website

The new time extension forms for master's and doctoral students, as well as the petition form, are now available on the Graduate School website.

Entry of faculty roles into Faculty Role List

Academic Support Resources (ASR) is in the final stages of development of the Faculty Role List database. Once it is live, this list can be used by staff, faculty, and students to assist in committee and adviser assignments.

A small group of Plan Level Coordinators (PLCs) began testing the database on January 15. The week of February 4, PLCs will receive instructions for how to populate the database with faculty member roles (i.e., adviser, reviewer, committee member, chair) for each degree objective (e.g., PhD, EdD, MA, MFA, MS). This should be a simple process, but it may take some time, depending on how many objectives the program has.

If you have any questions about this message, contact Renae Faunce.

Committee assignment reminder

As a reminder, students who established a committee assignment via the now retired Degree Program or Thesis Proposal forms do not also need to submit their committee assignments online.

If students have changes to an established committee, they report the new committee composition though the online Committee Assignment forms, which are available on the Graduate School website.

Friday, January 18, 2013

Attend the portal kick off on Feb. 4

Mark your calendar for the ESUP portal kick off event on Monday, February 4 from 2 to 4 p.m. An email invitation with more details will come soon, so be sure to join our mailing list by emailing umportal@umn.edu. There will be at least one location to attend on every campus.

You can also stay informed about the program by visiting z.umn.edu/portal. And you can check out the main ESUP website on Monday afternoons to learn about new updates to the program at upgrade.umn.edu.

Stay healthy: flu prevention and treatment

The University, like the state and the rest of the country, is experiencing the effects of seasonal influenza.

Influenza is an upper respiratory infection and can be very serious. Symptoms tend to come on quickly and include fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, and extreme tiredness. This is not a "stomach flu," which includes nausea and vomiting. Be sure to read information about prevention and treatment if you become ill.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) recommend that everyone six months of age and older be vaccinated. If you have not yet been vaccinated, Boynton Health Service is offering free vaccination clinics. Alternatively, contact your healthcare provider.

If you are concerned about influenza exposure in the workplace, talk with your supervisor. You may also contact your local or central human resources representative to discuss concerns. If you become ill with influenza, stay home. Return to work once you have been fever free for 24 hours without using any fever-reducing medicine.

If you have children who become ill, call your supervisor to report that you need to stay home, just as you would any other time your children are ill.

FERPA Q&A: Post-secondary parental rights

Question: What rights do parents have at the post-secondary level?

A) They have the same rights as their child.
B) They can only see their child's education record after receiving permission from the dean of the college.
C) They can review their student's grades with the written permission of the student.
D) They have a right to see grades because they pay the bill.

Answer: C. Parents can only review their child's grades with written permission from the student. A dean cannot grant permission, nor can parents see the student's grades just because they are paying for tuition.

Friday, January 11, 2013

Transition Guide for PeopleSoft Course/Class project

During the past year, an Academic Support Resources (ASR) committee has worked to make course information easier to maintain, while also increasing the accuracy of reporting and student billing. This data simplification project will aid in the PeopleSoft 9.0 upgrade project. The conversion was done behind the scenes in collaboration with the Office of Information Technology (OIT). Changes are effective starting summer 2013. The conversion impacts all University campuses.

You will notice that some fields (locations, components, delivery mediums, and instruction modes) in ECS and ECAS have fewer options, and one has even been completely eliminated. Refer to the Course and Transition Guide on the ASR website for complete information.

Policy requires all grad students be assigned an adviser

Plan Level Coordinators (PLCs) should be aware that graduate education policy requires all students to be assigned an adviser at the time of matriculation to each major and degree objective. Recent data show that there are a number of students completing degree requirements who have not been assigned an adviser. Questions regarding how to assign an adviser can be directed to GSSP staff.

Changes to non-degree payment and cancellation

Starting spring 2013, any non-degree student who has a bill due on the 2nd or 3rd due dates will not be canceled due to lack of payment. This is a change from prior years, as cancels were processed at each billing due date. Students who are not canceled will be responsible for the charges that are accrued.

Non-degree seeking students will continue to be canceled for lack of payment only after the first billing due date.

PDF now available to explain process of requesting and approving graduate time extensions

As previously mentioned, beginning spring semester 2013 (January 22), all requests for graduate time extensions for master's and doctoral students must be approved by a designated representative in the college of the student requesting the extension.

For your convenience, a PDF has been created with additional information and examples of the new extension forms.